About Us

Our History

Farmers Mutual Insurance began in North Carolina in 1892 by a special act of the legislature. Farmers Mutual Insurance began in Randolph County soon thereafter under the Randolph County Branch of Farmers Mutual Insurance Association of North Carolina. In 1980 the Farmers Mutual Businessmen's Insurance Company of Randolph County was organized as a seperate branch of the State Association.

Effective January 1,1994, the Farmers Mutual Insurance Company of Randolph County and Farmers Mutual Businessmen's Insurance Company of Randolph was chartered as seperate and independent corporations, replacing the Farmers Mutual Fire Insurance Association of North Carolina. In 1996 a reorginization began under which the Farmers Mutual Insurance Company of Randolph County was dissolved and all of its surplus was distributed to its policyholders under the terms of its By-Laws. The Farmers Mutual Businessmen's Insurance Company of Randolph County took over the insurance policies of the old company.

In 1996 by action of the Board of Directors and the policyholders, the charter of the Farmers Mutual Businessmen's Insurance Company of Randolph County was amended to change its name to Carolina Farmers Mutual Insurance Company and to change from a county mutual to a limited assessable mutual with multiple line authority.